I met Peik Bech-Andersen from Denmark for my first interview in the Business Central Manufacturing Show. He is a solution architect and senior developer, and he first saw Navision back in 1984. Peik and I actually got to know each other in the year 2014, when he was writing his book “manufacturing with Microsoft Dynamics NAV. A comprehensive guide to the manufacturing module in Microsoft Dynamics NAV”. Here is what Peik has to share on Business Central and manufacturing.
Starting a new podcast is a tough thing. Starting with the only person who wrote a 300+ pages book on the topic of your podcast can be challenging as well ;-) -- Well, I took the challenge and am glad that I did.
The interview with Peik covers the hole range of the his story and the Dynamics NAV (and Business Central) manufacturing story. We literally started the session with a diskette and we finish off with thoughts what manufacturers can do to succeed during the current corona virus crisis.
Peik' knowledge about Dynamics NAV (and Business Central) manufacturing is so amazing that he's is candidate for (much) more interviews.
This time, he shared some insights on what makes a system such as Dynamics 365 Business Central so important for manufacturing companies. As this is the case, I wanted to know if there are some best practices for manufacturing companies to follow when starting with their ERP journey.
On this episode, you'll learn:
- That the global success of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central actually originates from a global network off well educated IBM dealers back in the 80/90'ies
- Why Peik decided to write an entire book and Microsoft Dynamics NAV (and how long it actually took him to get this done).
- Why manufacturers should think processes and not functions when they evaluate an ERP system.
- Why ERP systems are so crucial for the success of manufacturing companies. Peik calls them the "backbone" of a manufacturer.
- How manufacturing companies should start when they implement an ERP system.
What to listen for:
- [01.54] How Peik happened to come in contact with Navision - and the role a check (good old times), a diskette (even more good old times ... ;-) and 10 Euros played.
- [05.18] Reflections on the pros and cons of the standard Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central manufacturing module and the opportunities for partners & customers to enhance it.
- [07.52] The most commonly made mistakes of manufacturers that work with Dynamics 365 Business Central or Dynamics NAV.
- [09.43] Thoughts on what makes an ERP system such as Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central that important for manufacturing companies.
- [11.16] Best practices for manufacturing companies to apply when implementing an ERP system.
- [14.55] A smart best practice how an Danish client of Peik ensures COVID-19 compatible operations.